Photo By photoagent at Shutterstock
Botox is a fairly common cosmetic procedure that helps people reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and also treats some chronic medical conditions. At NextGen OMS, McKinney experts, we administer these injections in a safe, clinical setting, helping our clients achieve the results they desire. We’ve put together some information about the history of the procedure, how it’s administered, and some of the health conditions that this injectable treats.
What Is Botox?
Botox is the proprietary name for a type of injection made from a neurotoxin produced by Clostridium botulinum, which creates a natural forming bacterium, Botulinum toxin. This neurotoxin can numb the muscles of the face, reducing the appearance of forehead wrinkles, wrinkles around the eyes, and “laugh lines” around the mouth. While the idea of injecting a toxin into one’s face can be a little scary, it’s generally safe when handled by a trained professional in a clinical setting.
How Does Botox Reduce Signs of Aging?
This chemical helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles in the face by relaxing the muscles underneath the skin, smoothing out the appearance of the dermis. Muscles move by emitting a signal in the nerves, called a neurotransmitter that tells the muscle to clench and relax. It bypasses the neurotransmitter, which, in turn, inhibits the muscles from moving. Temporary injections of Botox prevent the facial muscles from creating full expressions, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles that come along with these movements.
Your eyes, mouth, and forehead muscles move when you speak, chew, laugh, or make other facial expressions. Inhibiting the muscle movement reduces the depth of wrinkles and smooths out the face.
Am I a Good Candidate For Botox?
Good candidates for this procedure are in good physical condition, nonsmokers that don’t consume much alcohol. Smoking and alcohol use can age the skin, causing excess wrinkles and contributing to poorer skin. Plus, drinking and smoking can make the healing process more difficult, and un-do the positive results. A good candidate will also have mild to medium wrinkles on the fact that they wish to smooth out. People with very deep wrinkles may not have the results that they desire.
What Is the Procedure Like?
For first-time users, your doctor will have a consultation, asking you about the “problem areas” that you wish to address and about your medical history, including whether you’ve had other procedures on your face, such as fillers.
You may receive a skin numbing procedure before the injections, especially for people who are receiving treatment for sweating palms or feet. Then, the doctor will use a small, thin needle to administer precise doses of the injection into the skin and muscles. The amount of injections depends on the result you desire. You should be able to resume your normal activities right after the procedure, but it’s important not to rub and press on the injection site, as this can cause the toxin to spread.
What Are the Differences between Botox and Fillers?
Unlike other types of wrinkle-reducing injectables, this isn’t a filler. That is, it doesn’t produce the “plumping” effect on the underlying dermis and collagen in the skin. So it doesn’t fill in wrinkles but instead will relax the muscles underneath the skin. Fillers, on the other hand, do just what they say – fill in the places where wrinkles form and boost the appearance of sagging skin.
What Health Conditions Can This Treat?
Botox can actually be used as a medical treatment for a variety of conditions, from the eyes to the armpits! If you suffer from one of these medical conditions, prescribed, professional injections may be able to help.
- Excessive body odor. For people who sweat and have distinctive B.O., targeted injections in the sweat glands can help reduce the amount of liquid they produce, which can make patients sweat less and reduce body odor.
- Chronic neck and shoulder pain. People that suffer from myofascial pain syndrome may find relief from strategic injections which can relax the muscles of the neck and shoulders, and ease chronic pain and stiffness.
- These chronic, debilitating headaches can have detrimental effects on a patient’s job and overall quality of life. Regular (every 12 weeks) injections in McKinney, TX in the neck and temples can help reduce the occurrence and severity of these headaches.
- Overactive bladder. This embarrassing health condition can help relax a bladder that squeezes too much, relaxing the bladder and increasing the storage capacity, which reduces leaks and the constant need to use the bathroom.
- While the connection between Botox and relieving the symptoms of depression isn’t exactly known, many patients feel better as a result of less frowning.
The Importance of Having a Professional Administer Injectables
While this is a common procedure and can be administered in an outpatient center, it’s still injecting a toxin into your face. A millimeter too far off the ideal site of the injection, or injecting a little too much can affect the way that a patient responds, including stiffening the face or not reducing the wrinkles in the way that a patient desires.
Risks and Side Effects
You can limit your risks by following the aftercare instructions from your doctor, and by having the procedure performed by a certified professional. However, there are a few side effects from the injection. These include:
- Eye dryness or excessive tearing
- Headache and flu-like symptoms
- Bruising, redness, swelling, or pain around the injection site
- Crooked smile or excessive drooling
- Droopy eyelids or crooked brows
Although the spread of the toxin to other parts of your body form the injection site, is rare, it’s important to monitor your condition, and report to your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Loss of bladder control
- Vision problems
- Muscle weakness
- Breathing problems
- Trouble speaking or swallowing
Contact NextGen Today For Your Personal consultation!
NextGen OMS works with McKinney, TX men and women just like you who desire a more youthful appearance, with a range of services and injectables to suit many different needs. Give us a call or visit us online for more information about our services and to see before and after photos. We’ll schedule a free, no-obligation consultation just for you. Come discover how you can look and feel your best today!